Monday 25 June 2012

Drying out...

I have every year for as long as I can remember seen the promotions for Dry July. Every year I have thought there is no way that I could go a whole month without my wine. Every year but this year. This year I have signed up! This year I will attempt and succeed in not having a drink for a month.

I am looking at this as a huge positive. I am looking at this as a huge change in myself and where I am mentally. I am focused. I am focused on being the best person I can be. Both in my every day life and with my eating and training.

I feel I have grown a lot in the last 12 months. I am at my happiest and I am wanting to see whether I can achieve something I have never thought I would be able to achieve.

I like to think of myself as a "re-formed" party girl. I loved all nighters but have not had one for nearly two years. I am proud of this achievement!



My relationship with alcohol has never felt like a real problem to me but there have definitely been times that I have felt myself lose control over how much and how frequently I was drinking.

I was and could still call myself a binger.

The definition of binge drinking is more than five standard drinks in one sitting. By this definition I think I am fairly confident that a majority of 20 somethings could also be categorised as bingers. Personally I think binging becomes a problem when you feel it is a problem. My binging is a problem because I don't like myself when I'm drunk. That argument on Manly corso is not so funny the next morning. Waking up with a bucket beside your bed, not so funny. Stuffing your face with a kebab, so good at the time but really not good for you especially when you wake up the next day to find the leftovers in your handbag!


I still love a night out with my girlfriends but the nights spent in Kings Cross nightclubs are behind me. They have have now been replaced with dinner and drinks, a bit of dancing and home by 1am. Do I binge at these dinners? Yes. We all do by definition.

Over the last six months, as my focus on my eating and training has increased, Saturday night became my night to have a few wines. I was no longer buying wine during the week and having a few glasses when I got home from work. I was, however, noticing that Saturday night was becoming my night to drink a whole bottle and sometimes more. It was as if I was making up for not drinking during the week which kind of defeated the purpose of cutting back mid week. This past Saturday night was different. I don't know what has changed but I had one glass, poured a second and didn't drink it. I am not going to question why I didn't. I am going to go with it. Pouring that glass of wine in to the sink has given me the confidence that I needed to know I can make it through Dry July and hopefully raise some money for charity.

To sponsor me please go to my Dry July profile. All donations go to the NSW Cancer Survivors Centre.

For those of you who are also planning to dry out this July, please do drop me a line if you are needing some moral support or encouragement. I may need some in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment